7 Ways to Become More Culturally Intelligent: A Guide for Followers of Jesus
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
In our interconnected world, cultural intelligence is essential for followers of Jesus who want to connect meaningfully with others. Cultural intelligence, or CQ, is the ability to relate and work effectively across different cultures, helping us reflect Christ's love and compassion in our interactions. Here are seven ways we can grow in cultural intelligence together:
1. Cultivate the Ability to Listen
In James 1:19, we’re reminded to be “quick to listen, slow to speak.” Listening attentively is essential to cultural intelligence, as it allows us to understand how truth is applied in different contexts. I’ve found that when I really listen without rushing to share my own thoughts, I gain insights into others’ perspectives. True listening opens the door to connection, helping us discern how people from different backgrounds view the world.
2. Embrace Boldness
Engaging with people from different cultures can feel daunting, especially when we fear making mistakes. Yet 2 Timothy 1:7 tells us God has not given us a spirit of fear. It’s an invitation to step out, even if we feel unsure, and to approach others with humility and respect. When I’ve had the boldness to start a conversation, even if I didn’t know every cultural nuance, God has often used these interactions to build understanding and friendship.
3. Respect Other Cultures as Much as Yours
In Philippians 2:3, Paul urges us to “value others above yourselves.” Respecting other cultures means embracing each one’s unique value, not seeing ours as superior. When I genuinely value someone else’s background, they sense that respect, and they’re more open to connection. As followers of Jesus, we’re called to celebrate diversity as part of God’s creation, understanding that every culture reflects His image in unique ways.
4. Immerse Yourself
To truly appreciate and understand another culture, we need to spend time within it. Whether that means traveling, attending cultural events, or forming friendships with people from diverse backgrounds, immersing ourselves is crucial. Romans 12:2 encourages us to “be transformed by the renewing of [our] mind.” When I’ve taken time to step into another culture, I’ve seen both beauty and imperfections—and it’s helped me discern what aligns with God’s truth and what might need gentle, loving correction.
5. Seek Cultural Bridges
Having mentors or friends who understand both our culture and those we’re learning about can be invaluable. Proverbs 27:17 says, “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” Seek out these “cultural translators”—people who help us navigate differences and bridge cultural divides. In my life, having someone to help me see things from a new perspective has been crucial to developing a more empathetic worldview.
6. Embrace Diversity
The Kingdom of God is beautifully diverse, as we see in Revelation 7:9, where there’s “a great multitude…from every nation, tribe, people, and language.” Embracing diversity isn’t just something we do within our churches but in our workplaces and communities. When we create spaces that welcome diverse voices, we reflect God’s love in powerful ways. I’ve seen how a community or organization that values diverse perspectives better understands and serves people in an interconnected world.
7. See the Person, Not Just the Culture
While learning about cultures is important, it’s essential to remember that each person is unique. Jesus exemplified this perfectly, always seeing the individual beyond their cultural or social identity. When I approach someone new, I try to see them as Jesus would, valuing their personal story rather than making assumptions. This simple shift helps us connect with people on a deeper level, as they feel seen and valued for who they are.
Growing in cultural intelligence is a journey, one marked by humility, intentionality, and love. As followers of Jesus, we can take these steps together, seeking to understand, respect, and genuinely engage with people from all walks of life. Each act of listening, each bridge built, and each person valued is an opportunity to reflect the love of Jesus, reaching across cultural boundaries and embracing the beautiful diversity God has created.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps

Comments
Post a Comment